Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Feel the Rhythm! Feel the Rhyme! Get On Up, It's Apology time! COOL RUNNINGS!

The following blogtacular is in response to the recent group of U of T students who took a great deal of flack over what was simply a harmless Halloween costume.

At a Halloween party on the night of October 29, 2009, the U of T students photographed above wore brightly coloured tracksuits, a dreadlock wig and Jamaican flag T-shirts. The 4 white students, posing as the Jamaican Bobsled team wore brown foundation making them look dark like me in the dead of summer... Or would that be red paint? There was also one Trinidadian student, posing as Coach played by John Candy who wore white face paint. Not only did they get castrated by some of their peers, they ended up writing a formal apology to the BSA (Black Student Association). Is it just me or is this not absolutely ridiculous?! Now, i realize that your ignorance may lead you to call me racist or apathetic but I'd like you to first hear me out on this issue. I assure you that I am far from possessing these characteristics.

Upon learning about this Halloween costume the Black Students Association sought after a written apology from the three colleges that threw the Halloween party. The BSA along with a couple other student groups ended up scheduling a townhall meeting in which the bobsled team from U of T attended. It was at this point that the aforementioned students issued a formal written apology.

Does this spark the death of fun? Are we really that overly sensitive in today's society that we can't play tribute to this major cult classic of our generation? What's next? Kids can't dress up like cowboys or police officers because they're mocking them? Are we really that fucking fickle that these students need to be castrated? We've come a long way in human rights. To me this seems like a step back in equality. We are long past the days of black and white, especially in a cultural melting pot such as Toronto. I can't understand how this was even remotely controversial... it's nothing more than a fucking costume. It's not a matter of black, white, brown, green, or purple... it's really a couple uneducated, eccentric idiots throwing their arms up because they have nothing better to do than turn a bit of little fun into political uproar.

Enough bullshit already, I dressed up as Bert from sesame street, are they going to castrate me because I'm not actually Bert from sesame street? I'm sure that somewhere an 8 year old was offended by my costume, I better write an apology. I've got an idea, let's just outlaw Halloween all together! Oh and another idea, well we're at it we'll outlaw Christmas too. Christmas trees are hereby illegal (GAVEL)! Un-fucking believable. This is the death of fun! Fun is illegal... Give 'em a ticket officer, he's having far too much fun!

I really don't understand why this group of students deserves to be penalized because a group of uneducated nothings can't take a joke. While i can respect the fact that the U of T students did the Honourable thing by issuing and apology, they never should have been forced into this situation to begin with.

The truly ironic thing about all of this is that the movie Cool Runnings itself was a comedy! Hmm, makes you think doesn't it? We are slowly becoming one with the animals, we seem to be evolving backwards. Shit like this makes me wonder about today's society. Live your life and cut out the bullshit, life's too short to dwell on irrelevant nonsense!!

What are your thoughts on this?

Peace Out Friends!!!

No comments: