Monday, February 23, 2009

A Penny For Froid's Thoughts

It's February 23 of 2009 and I'm officially finished with winter... I QUIT! The snow is fun in spurts of 1-5cm at a time but the whole -25C thing is not so much fun, especially with Chuck Taylor's on!

Gone are the days where i actually had the time or desire to go skiing/snowboarding, snowmobiling...etc. These winter sports past times are all just a shadow in my mind. The funny thing about it is that i see this juncture of my life as being too busy to get around to doing such things now days. The true fact of the matter is that this is probably the best time to live it up and get my wild Floyd groove on because next year i am actually going to have to bear down and focus on my studies. It feels kinda funny to say "my studies"... yeah, definitely makes the bum tingle a little bit.

My biggest fear at this point is what the hell it is I'm going to do for money come next year! I am truly my own worst enemy when it comes to money, what i mean by this is that Ive been working full time for the past 6-7 years and i really have nothing to show for it. I squander most of my money away on clothes, booze, and the occasional hooker...... okay maybe just clothes and booze. On top of my personal expenses i also have bills to pay... rent, phone bill, gym fee, RRSP payments. This usually leaves me with enough cash to look forward to my next pay check. Living a life of disposable income is incredibly unhealthy. What i really need do do is learn how to manage my funds better.

I get absolutely terrified when i think about next year. I fear that my social life will slip away as i drown in a sea of student debt. How will i manage my expenses and be able to pay my bills while at the same time having a little fun with my friends on my free time? It all makes me feel like i should have gotten on my high horse years ago when i had the chance. I for one am an advocate for not forcing the issue of college/university on kids. Too many kids get pushed or pressured to take subjects that they have no interest in or that have nothing to do with their career paths. These students end up dropping out, wasting an absurd amount of money or end up passing and doing something completely different. Now don't get me wrong here, there's nothing wrong with furthering your education and having something to fall back on. What I'm really saying is to make informed decisions because believe it or not, these are the decisions that are going to shape our lives. You don't want to spend 8 years getting a Bachelor's degree in this or a Masters in that then one day wake up to the realization that you want to become a Police Officer.

I personally wanted to take some time off to think about my future after high school, in turn i may have ended up screwing myself over in the long run. I fell into a rut, an enormous rut where the money was easy and the good times where great! All the while oblivious to time and the fact that the years where slipping away from me.

I'm nearly 25 now, i could be finished college, could possibly be working at a radio station... paying off my student loans. Its easy to say that i have no regrets but i believe this is a huge one. If i had the "Doc", a Delorean and a flux capacitor i might just go back in time and change a few things but "hey" that's life. What really matters is that I'm trying to make good with myself now. I'm trying to show myself that i really care and that I'm willing to make up for my mistakes. Life is really all about making mistakes when you think about it... the more mistakes you make, the more you learn and improve! Thanks for reading this blabber... PEACE OUT PEEPS!

2 comments:

Agata said...

You need to stop being such a biatch about winter and just go snowboarding with me already!

You haven't failed and you have nothing to regret. Everyone has their own timeline and it just took you a bit longer to figure out what you want to do with your life. At least you didn't spend all that time and money going to school "like the rest of them" and doing something you hate/aren't really that interested in!

As for the money saving thing, see a financial adviser maybe?

fr0id said...

haha thanks for the advice... and the chirp, but more importantly the advice, dick... hehe